Talent Chapter 1


Chapter 1:    Grounded

Translator: Aafkee

Proofreader: ChaiTea


It was half-past six in the morning, the sky was just starting to brighten up but the entrance of the Northern Film Studio was already crowded with background actors who were waiting for their turn. It looked like they were all men who appeared very similar to one another. Not only that, each and every one of them dressed out of fashion. Some of them were looking around anxiously, while others were staring blankly at nothing. There were even people who came together and played card games to kill time… Except for one person. He was sitting on a small camp stool, calm and indifferent. His hair was combed back and tied into a trendy bun, just like a bunny’s tail. He was only wearing a white shirt with a small floral pattern on his shirt collar, paired with a pair of ripped jeans in the cold winter. He had a strong aura of youthfulness surrounding him, quite indifferent towards his own fashion and yet, he was doing something completely different from his image -- face reading*. (T/N*: Face reading is a practice of studying a person’s facial features for insight into a person’s past, present, and future. It is, apparently, popularised as Physiognomy.) “Great Master, I really revere you. I have heard that you are very accurate, especially at foretelling marriage fortunes! I have taken the train all the way from Tieling to come here to meet you. I never would have thought that you’d be this young!” Han Dong, with a profound expression, said, “The level of skills in this practice is not determined by our age, but by our perception and enlightenment.” “Yes, of course, you must be right; an amateur like me doesn’t understand a single thing. But I’m puzzled, why did you choose such a noisy spot to do face reading?” Han Dong spat out his words faintly, “To feel grounded.” “Hahaha… Then, Master, can you quickly help me have a look and see whether my marriage will be blessed and blissful for a lifetime?”
Han Dong squinted his eyes and took a closer look. This man had horizontal lines on the root of his nose in between his eyes. There were even dark spots on the left side which meant that he was destined to have a failed marriage! Although that was what he thought, he could not actually say it. That was because this man had thin eyelids, a short philtrum, and tight and small lips. This man looked to be carefree but was actually narrow-minded, sensitive and mentally weak. What if the man refuses to pay if he told the truth? “You and your lover will definitely spend your lifetime together, hand in hand.” Han Dong’s tone was very sincere. To his surprise, the moment the middle-aged man, who was being reverent and respectful, heard his reply, his expression changed in an instant, “So you’re saying that I can’t divorce that good-for-nothing old hag?” Dong Han was quiet. The sensitive and weak-minded middle-aged man had indeed started to roll up his sleeves, as if ready to fight, “I have tolerated her for half my life. I’ve even threatened her with a knife on my neck, but she just refused to divorce! I was only here to have my fortune told for the peace of my mind, but who would have guessed that your single sentence could put a stop to my happiness for the rest of my lifetime!” Dong Han could only scream in his heart: You should have said it sooner!! “Let’s discuss this civilly.” Dong Han tried to be courteous. The middle-aged man became angrier, “What is there to discuss regarding a face reading?” Just as Han Dong was about to explain, he suddenly saw the casting manager walking out of Northern Film Studio’s entrance. It was time for casting! He grabbed his stool and dashed towards the entrance, his firm image of a Master vanished in an instant. The middle-aged man grabbed him, “What are you doing? Are you thinking of running away?” “Let go! I need to accept my role,” Han Dong replied. “Accept your role? Turns out you’re an actor! How dare you! So, you were using me as a practice target, huh?” “Who used you as a practice target? This is my part-time job! Part-time, get it?” Han Dong added. “I’ve never heard of a fortune teller moonlighting as an actor!” the man ground out. “What’s wrong with being a fortune-teller? Can’t a fortune-teller pursue his dreams?” Han Dong retorted. The middle-aged man gritted his teeth, “Just look at your dumb look, and you’re still talking about pursuing your dreams? I say you’re just a swindler! I’ll make this train ticket worth its money by giving you a good beating!”





Support me by becoming a Ko-fi member!
Join me on Discord!

Share:
spacer

12 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for translating Feng Mang, i really love this novel but sadly the previous translator stopped translating.. Please don't give up on this novel i believe so many peoples waiting just like me ��
    It's all up to you to updated the translation anytime you can, just please don't stopped midway i really hope to finish reading Feng Mang completely ����

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Translations for this series will be slower for now because I want to finish up with FTBF, which only has about 7-8 more chapters to go, but I'll definitely get to it so don't worry!

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your reply, totally not a problem take your time :) in the meantime i will read your other translations, i'm so happy & exited someone translate this novel again! :)

      Delete
  2. are you gonna start from the beginning? I thought this novel is completed already. If that's the case then I'll wait for it to be completed. No rush though and thank you for taking translating it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are 300+ chapters in total, and the previous translator stopped translating at Chapter 68 (last updated in 2018). That's why I have decided to picked it up since one of my readers suggested it. I do not like translating from halfway so I chose to start from Chapter 1.

      Update for this series will be slow for now as I am trying to finish up with FTBF, which I only have about 5 chapters left to translate before I pick up the pace for this one. :D

      Delete
  3. Thank you for picking this up!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dear friend, I am so happy you picked up my favorite novel from Chai JiDan 😭😭❤️

    Thank you lots and please don't give it up, it's so worth, it's an unique novel, hilarious and the CP is also amazing 🤧 take your time translating it 🥰

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ❤️❤️

      I may be slow at updates since I'm starting my full-time work soon, but I will not give up what I started so don't worry!

      Delete
    2. It's okay with slow update, instead of dropped ))
      Thank you and good luck on your job 😌

      P.S. Wanted to ask, are the VIP chapters expensive to unlock? I tried to register to check, but couldn't manage to do it ((

      Delete
    3. Thank youuu (I do need all the luck I can get HAHA)

      The advance chapters can be unlocked here:
      https://ko-fi.com/aafkee/tiers

      It is 800 JPY per month (about 7 USD per month I believe). I think you should be able to click the link and look at more information without needing an account, so feel free to do so!

      Although if you do decide to sign up for membership, it is best you link your discord account to the ko-fi account so that my discord server will give you the @Latte role automatically, or you can simply DM me about it and I can manually assign the appropriate role. (:

      That being said, don't feel like you have to spend money though! Just your support alone is enough (ALTHOUGH I won't say no to money xD)

      Delete
    4. Omagad, so much info to process 🤦‍♀️😂 I am a cave woman lol, my online era was back in 2005-2010 shahah, I don't have a discord acc)) so I'll just ko-fi you something after 10th Jan, I'll let you know privately later, thank you 😘

      Delete